Which Game To Buy.....

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Which game to buy.....
Which game to buy.....
First Page 2
 Hades.Agilo
Serveur: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-07-02 21:34:30
Link | Citer | R

so.... im getting some money soon and want to buy a new game, preferably an rpg for ps3. the problem is, I think i can only afford one game (depending on if i can find the games used and how much they actually cost now) ive narrowed it down to a few choices, what are people's opinions on these?

Star Ocean: Last Hope International

Dragon Age: Origins

Demon's Souls

Resonance of Fate

Let me know :)
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-07-02 21:36:53
Link | Citer | R

Dragon Age is a really really great game, I've only ever played through 2 games pretty much non-stop more then once or twice in a row.. DA:O and Uncharted 2
 Leviathan.Comickaze
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Comickaze 2010-07-02 21:37:24
Link | Citer | R

DA:O for sure.
By Mystluna 2010-07-02 21:38:31
Link | Citer | R

Dragon Age: Origins

I can't honestly tell you how many times I have played that game all the way to the end. I know at least 6 but there are always more options and combinations to choose form. It's a sweet game.
 Hades.Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-07-02 21:46:48
Link | Citer | R

yeah Dragon Age was a strong contendor, especially cuz of the replay value from what I've heard which is great since i cant really afford to buy games that often
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-02 21:49:27
Link | Citer | R

Resonance of fate sucks.

Dragon Age (as mentioned already) is awesome. However a caviat to go with that. Maybe there was something I didnt understand, but when I created my character and started playing I made a rogue, and based on the way the skills were set up I thought I might like to go full archery (RNG'ish build i guess), DO NOT do this. At the point i'm at now it's nearly impossible for me to get anywhere because I just keep dying. As someone who played Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter nights I definitely know my way around the combat so that isn't the issue.

I'm currently playing through Star ocean, its pretty good so far, a lot of the best elements from SO2 are intact and the only downside to the game I can think of off hand is the item creation system from SO3 is back, I liked SO2's MUCH better personally.

Demon's Souls i've heard nothing but good things about, except by those who were crying about it being hard.

Hades.Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-07-02 21:54:04
Link | Citer | R

yeah Demon's Souls looked fun for the challenge, few games have a real challenge now-a-days, the last game i played that was really hard was devil may cry 4 on the hardest mode before heaven and hell mode (stupid fricking giant frog).

That's actually the first bad thing ive heard about resonance of fate actually lol but that one was kinda low on the list anyway cuz i think its the most expensive one
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-02 21:59:12
Link | Citer | R

Resonance of fate is utter crap, you do LITERALLY the EXACT same things in combat over and over. Not to mention there's only two types of guns you can ever obtain, SMG and Pistols. That's it, no rifles, no launchers of any type, nothing. The story looked interesting enough but the gameplay was just so shitty I couldn't stand it anymore.

Also, star ocean is pretty challenging too. I'm on like... the third? fourth boss? Because im lazy ill just copy my convo with my friend who's beat it

rofl, i keep getting my *** handed to me by this boss
(5:06:24 PM): SOOOOO annoying the only time you can really hurt it is when it's getting ready to do one of the 6 moves it can do >.>
(5:06:31 PM): and of course it does that one skill next to never

Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-02 22:00:35
Link | Citer | R

Dragon Age. No contest.
 Hades.Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-07-02 22:04:20
Link | Citer | R

lol cool, i would love to be able to find like used versions of Dragon Age and Star Ocean, unless their prices are actually low enough now that i can afford them both (i have 65 bucks to spend i think) which would be awesome :)
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-07-02 22:07:37
Link | Citer | R

Rogues are definately at their best when you take it the dual wielding route.. It's not impossible to play through with it majoring in archery, but it's damn sure not going to be easy or cheap.

There are a couple of downsides to DA:O that I didn't like however..

Enemies don't respawn, and neither do things you pick up along your trails (like deathroot, elfroot, etc although those two specific ones can be bought from NPC's who have an unlimited supply, but there are others that can only be found and if you drop it and need it later on your screwed) That translates to a limited amount of funds you can obtain, some of the best weapons are really expensive and you can honestly really only fully deck out one character (there's still plenty of really good gear to be found/gained from quests) maybe 2 if you have the expansions AND you don't spend your money on potions/crafting mats, etc

There were a few other things I disliked, but I'd have to play through it again to remember..

Still a great game, and I learned all that from my first play through and still went through it 3-4 more times. Not nearly enough for me to say "it was an okay game, but not worth playing again".
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-02 22:14:54
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Rogues are definately at their best when you take it the dual wielding route.. It's not impossible to play through with it majoring in archery, but it's damn sure not going to be easy or cheap.

There are a couple of downsides to DA:O that I didn't like however..

Enemies don't respawn, and neither do things you pick up along your trails (like deathroot, elfroot, etc although those two specific ones can be bought from NPC's who have an unlimited supply, but there are others that can only be found and if you drop it and need it later on your screwed) That translates to a limited amount of funds you can obtain, some of the best weapons are really expensive and you can honestly really only fully deck out one character (there's still plenty of really good gear to be found/gained from quests) maybe 2 if you have the expansions AND you don't spend your money on potions/crafting mats, etc

There were a few other things I disliked, but I'd have to play through it again to remember..

Still a great game, and I learned all that from my first play through and still went through it 3-4 more times. Not nearly enough for me to say "it was an okay game, but not worth playing again".

Ah, I wasn't even aware of those things as I couldn't get past a certain point lol.
 Hades.Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-07-02 22:22:05
Link | Citer | R

oh btw, how long does star ocean last? are there like side quests/missions that you can do?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-02 22:24:15
Link | Citer | R

DA:O isn't very long though. Good replayability I guess, Resonance of Fate gets my vote. Typical confusing long JRPG with a pretty fun battle system. Last Hope is alright, not the best in the series but it'll keep you entertained if you don't mind the horrid dubbing (besides Laura Bailey <3) First disc lasts a while, second and third just flew in, seriously. There's a lot of endgame sidequests and of course replaying it on hard mode.
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-07-02 22:25:54
Link | Citer | R

Star ocean takes forever!!! If you want something quick it is not for you.
 Hades.Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-07-02 22:30:33
Link | Citer | R

i don't really want something quick,

@Darkanaseur- im getting last hope international (the ps3 version) which has A- 1 disc and B- japanese voices :):) :)
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-07-02 22:35:02
Link | Citer | R

You will like it. Gives you something to do when the our working on the FF11 servers!!
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-02 22:35:51
Link | Citer | R

Ah well still applies. At least you won't be stuck changing discs to go back to older planets :3 It is fun, and the bonus fights against Ethereal Queen are hard as hell if you don't glitch your stats. Good fun.
 Hades.Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-07-02 22:37:41
Link | Citer | R

i have dial up.... which means that when they are finished working on the ff11 servers, i have to wait at least (emphasis on: at least) 7 hours for the update to finish, and thats on a good day lol. this is also after the update craze is finished and the servers arent being absolutely destroyed by millions downloading at the same time lol.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-02 22:38:20
Link | Citer | R

My buddy who's finished star ocean said it was about 70hours? I think he did like everything though, could be wrong.

And unless you really like, say, being level 1 with no skills in an rpg, resonance of fate blows hard.
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-07-02 22:39:00
Link | Citer | R

Agilo, I feel so bad for you!!! I hate dial up!!!
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-02 22:40:38
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Bloodbathboy said:
Agilo, I feel so bad for you!!! I hate dial up!!!

I remember having that :( then i discovered DSL (wasn't the best but decent) for only $14 a month. I think they were some funky local provider though
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-07-02 22:41:58
Link | Citer | R

So you suffered threw dial up to Kaji !!! I could never go back to dial up!!
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-02 22:42:58
Link | Citer | R

No way! Resonance of Fate was fun. It just doesn't really let you become really overpowered. I personally hate slicing and dicing final bosses. Great music score too. (Star Ocean and RoF both composed by Motoi Sakuraba!)

Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-02 22:43:02
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Bloodbathboy said:
So you suffered threw dial up to Kaji !!! I could never go back to dial up!!

Yeah, granted this was YEARS ago but yeah lol
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-02 22:44:49
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
No way! Resonance of Fate was fun. It just doesn't really let you become really overpowered. I personally hate slicing and dicing final bosses. Great music score too.

Fun? You call doing the exact same thing with the exact same weapon types without developing any kind of abilities or changing the combat in any way shape or form from level 1 fun? We have very different views on fun then.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-02 22:50:18
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Kajidourden said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
No way! Resonance of Fate was fun. It just doesn't really let you become really overpowered. I personally hate slicing and dicing final bosses. Great music score too.

Fun? You call doing the exact same thing with the exact same weapon types without developing any kind of abilities or changing the combat in any way shape or form from level 1 fun? We have very different views on fun then.

You mustn't have finished it. Your attacks get bigger and flashier, but yes, it's slow paced but there's a bigger focus on strategy than games like Star Ocean have. Besides, fun's relative you know?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Serveur: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-02 22:52:16
Link | Citer | R

I've just been downloading old games on my PS3.
They need to release Chrono Cross though :'(
I've been wanting to play Star Ocean.
Dragons Age was fun from what I played of it but I really never got into it fully.
Demon's souls looks cool but i really don't know how much i'd be able to vest in playing in it.
I would probably get mad at some point and just quit playing because I already have several games to still play on my plate anyway.
I pretty much think I can only keep 1 rpg running at a time.
that's excluding like portable ***when I'm out and about but that is a rare occurence where i'd play the game rather than socialize.
ah yea and more on topic of what yer talking about now.
never played resonance of fate.
just did a quick google search...hmm i really do judge a game by it's cover but i typically am a bit wary when it comes to rpgs and a sega sign in the corner.
i did look at the wiki and saw tri-ace was on it and i was relieved.
i enjoyed infinite undiscovery so i'd imagine this game probably ain't too bad.
 Hades.Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-07-02 22:52:41
Link | Citer | R

the only reason i have dial up still is because i live way out in the woods in a town with only 1200 people lol and companies dont find it profitable to put in DSL or high speed so they dont unfortunately. im moving to college tho which has high speed which im looking forward to :)
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-07-02 22:54:08
Link | Citer | R

You will love it man !!! Much nicer!!
First Page 2