users online
E3
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Serveur: Alexander
Game: FFXI
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-06-16 17:00:25
Link | Citer | R

Thats like saying every game of a certain genre is the same as every other game in that genre with different colors, it isnt true. And as far as E3 goes...i dont get why everyone is *** riding nintendo so hard. Sure the 3DS will be great fun for a casual gamer under the age of 15, but i promise you its gonna be just like the DS. Your not going to want to sit on a bus and yell at your DS and look like a tard. its gonna have gimmicky *** with the touch screen and microphone. And since when is remaking old games a giant accomplishment? XBLA and PSN have thousands of old games remade. Nintendo does it and suddenly their heroes?
 Sylph.Akibakei
Serveur: Sylph
user: Akiba
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-16 17:02:59
Link | Citer | R

Zekko said:
Games are going downhill in general not just FPS's

Games arent going downhill. Dont turn into that old man "back in my day it was the good times." The market is just a LOT more saturated since gaming has moved from the "nerd" room into mainstream. This day and age you dont need a great game to succeed so buyers have to be picky.

It's easy to look back on gaming years ago and call it "the good old days" because we only remember the greatest hits like Mario RPG, A Link to the Past, Rygar, Final Fantasy, etc. It's easy to forget the Gremlins, E.T., Super Mario 2, and all the other awful games we were put through.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-06-16 17:03:18
Link | Citer | R

Zekko said:

I'm not going to lie. I disagree with this. I just think the difference in quality is growing, the gap is becoming huge.

I still find Assassins Creed II, Uncharted 2 and Fallout/Oblivion few of the best games I've ever played.
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-16 17:05:09
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
Thats like saying every game of a certain genre is the same as every other game in that genre with different colors, it isnt true. And as far as E3 goes...i dont get why everyone is *** riding nintendo so hard. Sure the 3DS will be great fun for a casual gamer under the age of 15, but i promise you its gonna be just like the DS. Your not going to want to sit on a bus and yell at your DS and look like a tard. its gonna have gimmicky *** with the touch screen and microphone. And since when is remaking old games a giant accomplishment? XBLA and PSN have thousands of old games remade. Nintendo does it and suddenly their heroes?

But I am not saying other genres are the same. I am saying FPS's are all the same. There are only so many ways you can destroy someone while in first-person, with a gun, with some random gun, on a cool, shrapnel filled planet.

Dont get me wrong, FPSs have great graphics but they are not driven by story, true gameplay, or innovation.
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-06-16 17:16:40
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Akibakei said:

But I am not saying other genres are the same. I am saying FPS's are all the same. There are only so many ways you can destroy someone while in first-person, with a gun, with some random gun, on a cool, shrapnel filled planet.

Dont get me wrong, FPSs have great graphics but they are not driven by story, true gameplay, or innovation.

Really? You're trying to say Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, Modern Warfare 2, and Bioshock are all the same? All 4 are vastly different from each other yet all are still in the FPS genre.

P.S. Bioshock was very story driven for the record.

Edit: Also Bulletstorm looks like it could potentially be bringing something new to the FPS genre as well. But time will tell on that one.
By Zekko 2010-06-16 17:21:39
Link | Citer | R

Idk maybe its because when i was younger i had the best times playing Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, FF6/7, Chrono Trigger etc. Games just dont feel like that today. Though there is a game that'll come out every now and then that surprises us such as Oblivion, Halo CE, Fallout etc etc
 Sylph.Akibakei
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-16 17:22:20
Link | Citer | R

i'm not hatin on FPS. they sell a ton but the only difference I have seen in any FPS is setting and speed. Some games are simply faster than others.

Good for them though, they sell a ***ton of games. The FPS genre is inhibited strictly BY its genre. a First-person viewed game where you shoot people.

Other genres like RPG, Platform, RTS and the like are much more diverse simply cause they have a lot more wiggle room.

Again, not hating. They are very popular and most are worth the buy.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-16 17:33:35
Link | Citer | R

I disagree that all games within a certain genre are the same.

I do agree with the observation that people are so hesitant to take risks anymore, that we're getting FPS's with the same effects, the same gun designs, the same characters, and roughly the same story.

It's not that ALL FPS's are the same. It's that the industry somehow finds it acceptable to headline their E3 presentations with three different versions of the same game. With the same character. Without any hint of irony whatsoever.

At least some people are starting to call them on it.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-06-16 18:58:02
Link | Citer | R

Dont take this as insulting Jaerik, but have you ever played those 3 games respectively?
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-16 19:12:28
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I disagree that all games within a certain genre are the same.

I do agree with the observation that people are so hesitant to take risks anymore, that we're getting FPS's with the same effects, the same gun designs, the same characters, and roughly the same story.

It's not that ALL FPS's are the same. It's that the industry somehow finds it acceptable to headline their E3 presentations with three different versions of the same game. With the same character. Without any hint of irony whatsoever.

At least some people are starting to call them on it.

That's why I love TF2, it's utterly different!
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-16 20:11:22
Link | Citer | R

Dont take this as insulting Jaerik, but have you ever played those 3 games respectively?

Nope!

And your point is valid.

I'm jus' sayin', shouldn't the companies in question be at least a little embarrassed that someone's even able to put them side by side like that? Surely the art directors should be, at least.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Serveur: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-06-16 20:13:41
Link | Citer | R

Excited for The Last Guardian jaerik? :O
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-06-16 20:21:30
Link | Citer | R

Well you kinda have to take those screenshots with a grain of salt. Thats 1 picture in a game that has endless replay value in multiplayer. I have played most FPS out there. I have not played medal of honor(the middle one), but i have killzone 2 and modern warfare 2. The difference between the two is huge. To someone who plays it a lot, the smallest changes can be very large. I played MLG halo 2. But when halo 3 came out, i quit halo because of how awful i thought it was. The two games look almost EXACTLY the same. But the net code in halo 3 ruins shot registration. So cosmetic similarities mean almost nothing. Granted there are some guns that come up in too many games (M4), but they all play very differently. The problem from E3 should be with nintendo. They are making the same EXACT game they already made, on a different system. They dont look the same, they are the same.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-06-17 01:31:00
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Akibakei said:
Zekko said:

Games arent going downhill. Dont turn into that old man "back in my day it was the good times." The market is just a LOT more saturated since gaming has moved from the "nerd" room into mainstream. This day and age you dont need a great game to succeed so buyers have to be picky.

It's easy to look back on gaming years ago and call it "the good old days" because we only remember the greatest hits like Mario RPG, A Link to the Past, Rygar, Final Fantasy, etc. It's easy to forget the Gremlins, E.T., Super Mario 2, and all the other awful games we were put through.

super mario 2 was not awful

super mario 2 was *** incredible for its time
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18