SWTOR And FFXI And You!

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » SWTOR and FFXI and you!
SWTOR and FFXI and you!
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-06-09 21:55:58
Link | Citer | R

Okay so I'm really anticipating the release of SWTOR. Helping bridge the gap between FFXI players and Star Wars fans I wanted to create this thread for two purposes.

Compare primary classes from SWTOR to classes in FFXI that we all know and love for those going to switch from FFXI to SWTOR

and secondly, to find out how many of you will be playing.

you can learn more about star wars the old republic here:
www.swtor.com

Two factions exist ala WOW

Republic and Sith

Here are the PRIMARY classes and how I feel they are similar hybrids of existing FFXI classes to help those new to SWTOR better understand them.

Republic side

Smuggler: Thief, Ninja, Corsair

Republic Trooper: Ranger, Sam/rng, they wear heavy armor.

Jedi Knight: Paladin, whm/nin, Warrior/nin

Jedi Consular: Red mage, pld/nin, whitemage, sch

Sith Lord side

Imperial Spy: Thf/rng, nin/rng,

Bounty Hunter: Cor/rng, rng/war, sam/rng, its a major dps

Sith Warrior: war/nin, dark knight, sam/nin

Sith Inquisitor: black mage, drk/rdm, nin/blm, sch

Now these are just my opinions based off of developer explainations and they exist to explain in terms of FFXI lingo what these jobs do and exist for in the realm of SWTOR.

There are advance classes for each of the primary jobs discussed above but only a few of been released. The advance jobs branch off of the primaries to help dedicate the character in the field of speciality. All classes in SWTOR have been designed to maintain balance and offer gameplay bonus different from each job. The reason for making such hybrid class jobs is that in SWTOR you have npc companions similar to KOTOR1 and 2. And because its being developed by Bioware the company behind such genius games as Dragon Age Origins and KOTOR1, you know what I mean by npc companions. THe gameplay on the MMO end is designed for 2-4 small groups of players. So those of you tired of waiting around for 12 or more people in your linkshell to quit dicking around and pop the sky nm already, this is the game for you. Due out in spring 2011. So..... who's gonna play? :)

Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-09 22:00:21
Link | Citer | R

Cool, allegiance class restrictions. Because my playstyle should lock me into on group of people.

And hate to ruin your "Branded" bubble, but it's not the same Studio that did KotoR, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Dragon Age, or any Bioware Game really. The studio is Bioware Austin, and while some members have transferred to work on the MMO, they are not even close to the same team.

It's World of Warcraft with a Star Wars Reskin... Oh boy.

Now, that may have come across as trashing hardcore, but nothing there is not pure fact, if none of that bothers you, have fun. I just have some serious issues with the idea of a Star Wars MMO.

A personal issue is the Jedi. Everyone is going to want to be a Jedi(or sith), how do you balance a class that's supposed to comprise of people who can pretty much manipulate life itself, without them seeming weak? You can't. I'd rather see Jedi/Sith as the "HNM" of a Star Wars MMO< something that you organize clever strategy with grunts, bounty hunters and the like to take down. Or just get Boba Fett. Nothing beats the Fett.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-06-10 00:11:53
Link | Citer | R

yea but with the current time line and this being the "golden age of the force" so to say, its completely probably for this many sith and jedi to exist. they had to take what was done in galaxies and make sure it didn't occur again. case in point: making jedi/sith over powered. So sorry it isn't the OMFGPWNALL you want it to be, the fact is sith and jedi are mortal and can die and do die, the movies and novel clearly display this truth. So making them balanced with the other classes is okay. It's not WoW with a reskin, source that and I'll believe you.

Now for Bioware austin, there are lead designers who transfered over to work on just this project from Bioware HQ. Just because its a different branch of the same developer doesn't mean they don't carry over the same standards of quality with their games. Source me that where you doubt their abilities and I'll entertain your opinions ^^

For everyone else as excited for this game as me, spring 2011 can't come fast enough :)
 Sylph.Bouncingflea
Serveur: Sylph
user: Roiclem
By Sylph.Bouncingflea 2010-06-10 00:26:47
Link | Citer | R

I plan on trying it out once it releases, but i'm not going to expect too much out it yet.
 Sylph.Oddin
Serveur: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-06-10 00:32:58
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Cool, allegiance class restrictions. Because my playstyle should lock me into on group of people.

And hate to ruin your "Branded" bubble, but it's not the same Studio that did KotoR, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Dragon Age, or any Bioware Game really. The studio is Bioware Austin, and while some members have transferred to work on the MMO, they are not even close to the same team.

It's World of Warcraft with a Star Wars Reskin... Oh boy.

Now, that may have come across as trashing hardcore, but nothing there is not pure fact, if none of that bothers you, have fun. I just have some serious issues with the idea of a Star Wars MMO.

A personal issue is the Jedi. Everyone is going to want to be a Jedi(or sith), how do you balance a class that's supposed to comprise of people who can pretty much manipulate life itself, without them seeming weak? You can't. I'd rather see Jedi/Sith as the "HNM" of a Star Wars MMO< something that you organize clever strategy with grunts, bounty hunters and the like to take down. Or just get Boba Fett. Nothing beats the Fett.

I lol'd.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-06-10 02:37:52
Link | Citer | R

Boba fett is bad ***. You can play his character class.. even more bad *** ^^
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-06-10 02:39:08
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Bouncingflea said:
I plan on trying it out once it releases, but i'm not going to expect too much out it yet.

Don't expect alot out of FF14 either. Did you play FF11 from launch? I wanna hear how disappointed you were at launch back then and compare it to the game as its grown and improved. No MMO is *** BALLZ AWESOME MAN at launch, but a good one at least keeps you from canceling your sub before your 30 days are up....

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-06-10 02:41:53
Link | Citer | R

Well you'll have 2 to 4 months of 14 before SWTOR comes out so you have time to decide. I won't lie tho, it will be touch to manage 2 mmo subs, not that i'm broke or cheap but that as a general rule, MMO's consume alot of time and I'd like to only have one MMO sucking my time, if I had two I'd never see daylight or my children or work or write on my novel, which is bad obviously. I'm looking forward to the small grouping of both games so that time consuming suck fests that MMO's are can be dodged easier, no 3 hours LFP on a job that you love and everyone else hates. I hope at least lol.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-06-10 02:45:51
Link | Citer | R

amen I want to be a Sith inquistor

its blm and sch and rdm had an orgy and its offspring was given a double edged red lightsaber and a cool cloak.

Thats what I *** want.

*** the WOW reskined idea, seriously, finally a GOOD star wars MMO and people compare it to faggity *** wow. >< /facepalm.

/end rant
 Remora.Meredoc
Serveur: Remora
user: Doc2love
By Remora.Meredoc 2010-06-10 13:17:13
Link | Citer | R

I like the Idea of a specialty class. Jedi Weapon Master and I'm there.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-10 13:35:18
Link | Citer | R

Definitely going to give it a try at least. Been looking forward to this game for a long time.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-06-10 17:32:34
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Definitely going to give it a try at least. Been looking forward to this game for a long time.

yea 4 or so years of push backs lol. I think we are all ready to see it finished and on the shelf for purchase.