The Demise Of Split-screen Multiplayer And Couch Co-op Pisses Me Off To No End.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » The demise of split-screen multiplayer and couch co-op pisses me off to no end.
The demise of split-screen multiplayer and couch co-op pisses me off to no end.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Serveur: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-05-10 07:52:05
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Vacian said:
I started playing Halo with my cousin when it first came out, I would go hang out at his apt til like 3am playing deathmatch getting my *** kicked, this continued up to Halo3, I moved a couple hours away and would get on and do 1 on 1 with him talking ***through the headset.
That's exactly what I was talking about. I didn't care if I was the lowest person on the scoreboard. I enjoyed the hell out of it.
 Lakshmi.Pud
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Pud
By Lakshmi.Pud 2010-05-10 08:00:48
Link | Citer | R

One that pissed me off.. Need for Speed undercover no longer has 2 player.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-05-10 08:03:33
Link | Citer | R

split screen went from in-home split screen to online, single tv-per-set multip-player madness.

Siren.Mallicard
Serveur: Siren
user: Mallicard
By Siren.Mallicard 2010-05-10 08:04:02
Link | Citer | R

I agree with the OP. The main reason I bought games was to play them with my cousin or friends. There is a website that I found that looks for and reports on co-op games, as in they will say whether a game has split screen, online only and give a detail of what exactly the game has. It even has a database is these factors that you can search.

When I get home I will look it up and post it.
 Shiva.Superdan
Serveur: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-10 08:04:03
Link | Citer | R

I have to say though, Left4Dead is one hell of an online and splitscreen multiplayer. No need for a 2nd console, although a lot of people DO kick out splitscreeners from games.. Still, great game.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-05-10 08:07:55
Link | Citer | R

Left4Dead is better when everyone has their own tv and console. That way, when I charge head first into a set of zombies, I don't have to squint my eyes to see the action.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-05-10 08:08:40
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Superdan said:
I have to say though, Left4Dead is one hell of an online and splitscreen multiplayer. No need for a 2nd console, although a lot of people DO kick out splitscreeners from games.. Still, great game.
L4D is an insane game in general. That reminds me that I still haven't touched L4D2 even though I bought it shortly after it came out.
 Fenrir.Vacian
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Vacian
By Fenrir.Vacian 2010-05-10 08:08:42
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Fenrir.Vacian said:
I started playing Halo with my cousin when it first came out, I would go hang out at his apt til like 3am playing deathmatch getting my *** kicked, this continued up to Halo3, I moved a couple hours away and would get on and do 1 on 1 with him talking ***through the headset.
That's exactly what I was talking about. I didn't care if I was the lowest person on the scoreboard. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

funny thing is i never beat that dude til halo3 came out and even then i had to call no *** moves so he couldnt use rockets, *** was deadly with the backwards jump
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-05-10 08:09:56
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Vacian said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Fenrir.Vacian said:

funny thing is i never beat that dude til halo3 came out and even then i had to call no *** moves so he couldnt use rockets, *** was deadly with the backwards jump
Lol. We used to set up rocket only matches. Usually on the smallest boards possible.

Edit: When ever I did better than someone that was usually near the top of the score, I'd laugh at them and say something along the lines of "Wow, even I beat you that time! That's bad."
 Kujata.Akeda
Serveur: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-10 16:02:45
Link | Citer | R

Maybe they're giving into the stereotype that gamers don't have friends.

L4D and LittleBigPlanet are pretty fun games to play with real people next to you. Sadly I've only found 2 people to play Dissidia with, and no body who has FFT: War of the Lions ;_;
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-10 16:06:11
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Akeda said:

L4D and LittleBigPlanet are pretty fun games to play with real people next to you. Sadly I've only found 2 people to play Dissidia with, and no body who has FFT: War of the Lions ;_;
Dissidia multiplayer is so fun. I haven't tried FFT's multiplayer yet :<

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-10 16:29:38
Link | Citer | R

I think the death of single-screen multiplayer has been greatly exaggerated. Yeah, the big boys haven't done one in awhile, but don't underestimate the Wii. Even if you don't like it, it's vastly outsold all the other consoles, and the suits up at the executive level in major game studios have definitely taken notice.

I predict it'll be back eventually, I'm just not sure in which form.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Callicantzaros
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Callicantzaros 2010-05-10 16:43:47
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Akeda said:

FFT: War of the Lions
playing that on my psp atm to bad you prolly live hella far away
 Carbuncle.Callicantzaros
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Callicantzaros 2010-05-10 16:45:25
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Since I never had many friends (I'm way too shy) I ways always alone, so I actually enjoy everything being online now.

Mario Kart is the only thing I miss.

nothing wrong with being shy. I hate going out myself unless someone else is there with me.
 Odin.Moondaddy
Serveur: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2010-05-10 16:48:02
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Lazuras said:

Nostalgia anyone?

omg im lookin for my multi-tap right now, gauntlet 1&2ftw
 Titan.Mylliana
Serveur: Titan
user: Mylliana
By Titan.Mylliana 2010-05-10 17:09:14
Link | Citer | R

Sacred 2 Fallen Angel
for the 360

Imo fun multiplayer, Inquisitor is a fun class, whirlwind to suck 40+ mobs in for additional damage for each mob in the whirlwind=rape

and its split screen multiplayer

Need high res though, low res TVs wont be fun, you wont be able to read anything, tried it at a friends house and fail, had to bring him to my house to play it

But imo a very fun RPG, 2 opposing factions, several job classes, several races, different gods to give you supporting abilities, etc
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-10 17:12:05
Link | Citer | R

As much as I miss local multiplayer and Co-op, I hate splitscreen, it's confusing and pisses me off to no end.

I miss games like smash bros though.

It's fan having a lan party if you've got the room and enough people with PC's ^^
 Diabolos.Trangnai
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Nai
By Diabolos.Trangnai 2010-05-10 17:34:07
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I say it only goes for shooters now. Honestly, it would be foolish not to focus on the online multiplayer since that's popular. Simply said, times are changing. Either get with it or get left behind.

Thats the most foolish statment I've heard yet. even if it is popular, dosent mean you can't give an option for local Mulit-player. appeal to crowds new and old. correct me if i'm wrong but don't some games have that? (I.E. Halo) along with options to play online while playing with others in the same room on the same screen?

anyway, I agree with the factors of this. losing the ability to play with your friends when hanging out and stuff sucks. you wanna play an awesome mulit-player game you have to keep your old school systems.
 Odin.Godofgods
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2010-05-10 18:06:46
Link | Citer | R

playing with ppl u no at home is all fine and well, iv done it for ages myslef, but iv always hated split screen. Could never see as much and it always screwed with me.
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-05-10 18:25:37
Link | Citer | R

While I agree the amount of offline multiplayer games have dropped a bit this generation. I think its been grossly overblown.

Borderlands, Gears of War 1 & 2, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Halo 3, Halo: ODST, Resident Evil 5, Tekken 6, Street Fighter 4, Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Wii, Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles, House of the Dead Overkill, Mario Kart Wii, Little Big Planet.

These are just games off the top of my head that all support offline multiplayer of some sort. Not to mention the numerous classic and indie games you can download that support offline multiplayer (Gauntlet was mentioned above and it's one of said games).

Honestly I think the dwindle of offline multiplayer games started with the PS2. When I look at my PS2 collection well under 10% of the ps2 games I own even supports a second player in any way.

I miss all nighters with friends playing Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Halo. But if I tried to go back to playing 4 player split screen (or 4 player anything on a single console for that matter) I think I would hate it.
 Bismarck.Recaldy
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Recaldy
By Bismarck.Recaldy 2010-05-10 18:33:00
Link | Citer | R

I'm perfectly happy with online only. Sure there's people to play splitscreen with but they're completely new to video games (let alone ANY type of controller) and the experience would be utter crap. If I wanted a full nestalgic multiplayer experience then I'd go to the Wii and get out the N64. Most online games now have some sort of exp feature and requires a server to save everything. Cause I'm sure you have one or more games that keep you playing to unlock things/rank up than simply "have fun".
 Garuda.Hiroichirou
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Hiroichirou 2010-05-10 18:42:05
Link | Citer | R

Don't forget Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has split screen when doing the Specops just no main story split screen =(...
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-10 18:44:37
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Hiroichirou said:
Don't forget Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has split screen when doing the Specops just no main story split screen =(...
But MW2's Spec Ops mode is like a more fun version of some parts in the Campaign. So it's a fair tradeoff.
 Sylph.Oddin
Serveur: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-05-10 18:52:18
Link | Citer | R

The days of co-op playing isn't dead really. It's just gone through an upgrade so to speak. This is just technology expanding our enjoyment of what we already love to play. Game developing companies know there's ton of money in online gaming and are pushing forward with it instead of focusing on single player/co-op stories. In the long run, it's a bad idea seeing as most players tend to play video games for the stories more than the online play. A truly great game to me has a good balance of both. A riveting storyline and game play while having a fun and ever-changing online play mode.
 Seraph.Corrderio
Serveur: Seraph
user: Corrderio
By Seraph.Corrderio 2010-05-10 18:53:15
Link | Citer | R

I miss offline multiplayer to. Online FPSs urck me due to all the "noob" and "OMFG HACKER" bullcrap that goes on when someone gets killed.
 Garuda.Hiroichirou
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Hiroichirou 2010-05-10 18:53:26
Link | Citer | R

yeah, i just would like to play the whole main story with a buddy it be a lot funner than specops.