The Demise Of Split-screen Multiplayer And Couch Co-op Pisses Me Off To No End.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » The demise of split-screen multiplayer and couch co-op pisses me off to no end.
The demise of split-screen multiplayer and couch co-op pisses me off to no end.
First Page 2
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-05-10 03:28:47
Link | Citer | R

I remember most games used to have an @ home multiplayer setting. But these days it's all going online.
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-05-10 03:36:29
Link | Citer | R

You're not alone. Playing with complete strangers (lol irony, I play a MMO) is irksome. Makes me want to pull out my old N64 for some nice four player fun.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-05-10 03:40:30
Link | Citer | R

Oh I know that pisses me off sooooo much!

Games were something you played with other people, not something you do by yourself.

The only PS3 games I have bought have supported multi player @ home.

I also hear some companies are thinking about dropping LAN support for some games. I have several friends that will simply not play a game if it doesn't have LAN.

Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-05-10 03:43:54
Link | Citer | R

Just pulling out some of my collection.

Uncharted - single player
Uncharted 2 - single player
Fallout 3 - single player
Dragon age - single player
Oblivion - single player
Valkyria chronicles - single player
Assassins creed 1/2 - single player
Borderlands - multiplayer
Ratchet and clank - single player
Bayonetta - single player
Grand theft auto IV - single player
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-05-10 04:01:45
Link | Citer | R

The last great multi player experience I had was the original Halo on xbox.

Well I enjoyed ESPN 2k5, but once EA got exclusive rights I didn't buy a single football game.

Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-10 04:17:28
Link | Citer | R

I know I'm going to get rated down for this, but if you want to play with other people in the room, just buy a Wii.
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
Serveur: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-05-10 04:22:31
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:
I know I'm going to get rated down for this, but if you want to play with other people in the room, just buy a Wii.
Or we could just enjoy what was once commonplace on consoles we liked ;~;.

I'm glad my husband still has an N64 lol. We do get to play a little halo, Topspin, Wipeout fusion (If I'm lucky) or Dynasty Warriors. But the selection of 2player games that are actually worth playing is pretty minimal now ;;
I miss the amount of Co-Op games there was when I was a kid, it'd be awesome to veg out with my siblings and friends and just go nuts for a few hours on our favorite games. But now with online play, I think manufacturers are forgetting that some of us still have a social life per-se and would like to have our gaming buddies/partners/whatevers in the same room :P
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-05-10 04:23:41
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Enternius said:

Check the list posted above. How many of those games is available on the wii?

You won't get downrated by me. You just don't understand the difference in quality between games from the wii and the two other main consoles.

That said, I do think the wii has such great sales because Nintendo does understand the value of the @ home gaming experience that attracts a lot of different groups of gamers.

Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-10 04:24:49
Link | Citer | R

Resistance has co-op, always fun to play imo.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-05-10 04:25:25
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
Dynasty Warriors.

DW actually disappoints me as of late. Only co-op, I'd have liked to see VS mode as well, like in DW4.
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2010-05-10 04:30:20
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Dynasty Warriors.

DW actually disappoints me as of late. Only co-op, I'd have liked to see VS mode as well, like in DW4.

Hehe!! I have DW4, I really enjoy going back to it when I have a bad day and going nuts in Endurance Mode.... /happysigh

6 Wasn't bad, but it felt like 4 with prettier graphics D:, Would have been nice if the battle system was a little more refined.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-05-10 04:37:54
Link | Citer | R

My favourite couch multiplayer game!

This owns everything.

[+]
 Unicorn.Sedres
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2010-05-10 04:51:04
Link | Citer | R

It's all going online because online is a helluva lot easier to access now. Not saying I don't miss being able to thump my little brother when he kicks my arse at Mario Kart, but those games are still available, making them online just makes multiplayer more accessable.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-05-10 05:08:39
Link | Citer | R

because online co-op requires 2 copies of the game where as split-screen is only 1

I still remember stupid gears 2 wanted your 2nd player to have Xbox live gold to play online, tossed my copy so damn fast
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-05-10 05:16:14
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
because online co-op requires 2 copies of the game where as split-screen is only 1 I still remember stupid gears 2 wanted your 2nd player to have Xbox live gold to play online, tossed my copy so damn fast

cos it SUCKS
 Asura.Blaq
user: Blaq
By Asura.Blaq 2010-05-10 06:01:30
Link | Citer | R

Arcades used to provide the best multiplayer experience. I miss those
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-05-10 06:01:39
Link | Citer | R

I miss the old days of getting people together and playing Goldeneye or something along those lines.
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2010-05-10 06:22:57
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
I miss the old days of getting people together and playing Goldeneye or something along those lines.
Goldeneye N64, hide someplace and one-shot people! Was great fun haha, especially with donkey-kong head mode e_e (If I remember rightly that is what it was called, but feel free to correct me^^)
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-05-10 07:16:50
Link | Citer | R

Nostalgia anyone?
By Asura.Knightofdragon 2010-05-10 07:17:44
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Just pulling out some of my collection.

Uncharted - single player
Uncharted 2 - single player
Fallout 3 - single player
Dragon age - single player
Oblivion - single player
Valkyria chronicles - single player
Assassins creed 1/2 - single player
Borderlands - multiplayer
Ratchet and clank - single player
Bayonetta - single player
Grand theft auto IV - single player

I Know the answer to your problem, buy multiplayer games instead of single player games?
I know alot of games that where multiplayer have turn to LAN and Network gaming only, but there still lot of Multiplayer games!

Edit: Why did you post 4rpgs? i dnt know of any rpgs that are multiplayer?
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-05-10 07:26:14
Link | Citer | R

While I do agree with the OP, I also enjoy the ability to play multiplayer online.

I used to have "Halo night" with a group of friends back home. Once a week we would all gather at someone's place, setup the LAN, and play for hours. It was good fun.

Well life moves on and so do people. I personally was driving an hour there and an hour back just so I could participate. When Halo 3 came out, it made it easier for us all to play more often. We don't play much anymore for various reasons, but the capability is always there if we want to chill for a night and catch up while gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I have great memories of Mario Kart 64 and Perfect Dark.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-10 07:33:10
Link | Citer | R

Since I never had many friends (I'm way too shy) I ways always alone, so I actually enjoy everything being online now.

Mario Kart is the only thing I miss.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-05-10 07:34:03
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Knightofdragon said:
I Know the answer to your problem, buy multiplayer games instead of single player games?
I know alot of games that where multiplayer have turn to LAN and Network gaming only, but there still lot of Multiplayer games!

Edit: Why did you post 4rpgs? i dnt know of any rpgs that are multiplayer?

I named what I saw of my collection above my desk, indiscriminately. Looking at the rest of my collection, I found that additionally only LBP is multiplayer. Uncharted 2 has co-op, but that would require ANY friend to have a PS3 AND a copy of Uncharted 2, as well. Why not co-op on one disc with a friend?

You do not seem to understand. My point is that most games used to have a multiplayer implemented in the game. Since network gaming has been getting popular developers have been cutting out the regular couching multiplayer from games, which is very disappointing to me.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy single player games...
 Shiva.Superdan
Serveur: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-10 07:34:47
Link | Citer | R

I was still quite young when I had an N64, like 13 or so, dunno. But we used to play 4 player Goldeneye, Vigilante 8, Mario karts and whatnot several times a week, it was hella fun.

I miss those games, even if I do play xbox live now. While CoD is kickass, still doesn't beat smashing people up with a remote mine Goldeneye.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-10 07:36:23
Link | Citer | R

I say it only goes for shooters now. Honestly, it would be foolish not to focus on the online multiplayer since that's popular. Simply said, times are changing. Either get with it or get left behind.
 Fenrir.Vacian
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Vacian
By Fenrir.Vacian 2010-05-10 07:38:27
Link | Citer | R

I started playing Halo with my cousin when it first came out, I would go hang out at his apt til like 3am playing deathmatch getting my *** kicked, this continued up to Halo3, I moved a couple hours away and would get on and do 1 on 1 with him talking ***through the headset.
First Page 2