Forum » FFXI » General » Choco raising
Choco raising
 Phoenix.Degs
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-04-07 17:53:32
Link | Citer | R

Ok so.. i have pseudo raised 3 choco's so far.. always forgot bout them so, could never get that handkerchief for whistle quest. finally raised my fourth choco here, and on day 34 .. got the whistle to call him in field. Now my question is, do you still continue to raise your choco at this point, feeding him at the stables, and caring for him etc.... If i read wiki right at the point I am he wont gain any more stats from food, and i think from here on out stats are gained from chocotrain items, racing and so forth... please a little advice, not entirely sure where i should go from here
 Phoenix.Slytribal
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-04-07 17:55:12
Link | Citer | R

On day 64 they no longer get stats from food/day care etc.

I'd suggest making an all around, none too serious chocobo for riding first, and for some races for chocobucks. Then try and focus on your main racer/digger etc. and try to use the stat items when they no longer can use the care.
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-04-07 18:01:26
Link | Citer | R

So.... should i raise another choco afterwards?... or are you suggesting focus this one on a all around rider, then focus him secondary to racing/digging, after all the raising is done on day 64
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-04-07 18:18:50
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Slytribal said:
On day 64 they no longer get stats from food/day care etc.

I'd suggest making an all around, none too serious chocobo for riding first, and for some races for chocobucks. Then try and focus on your main racer/digger etc. and try to use the stat items when they no longer can use the care.

***I didn't even know that, somehow I missed it when reading that huge page... No wonder my Chocobo's discernment wouldn't raise even after a solid month of interacting with children or w/e..

>.< All that wasted time when I shoulda just put it towards raising a new Chocobo (I screwed this one at the start, cuz I was feeding it Gysahl Greens every day)
Phoenix.Degs said:
So.... should i raise another choco afterwards?... or are you suggesting focus this one on a all around rider, then focus him secondary to racing/digging, after all the raising is done on day 64

You basically need to already know what you want your Chocobo to do when you get the egg, because you need to focus on the 2 stats that support the type you want (racing or digging) Think of them as RDM's, sure they can do both a WHM and BLM's job, sort of, but they don't do either nearly as well.. I'm not so sure how strict it is for the Digging side of things, but for Racing, if it isn't raised to race, it will fail. This I know all too well.. My choco has above average strength and had whatever it is for average endurance, and I still failed every race I ever entered.
 Phoenix.Slytribal
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-04-07 18:21:39
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Degs said:

I would suggest breeding another chocobo, preferrably from parents who have abilities which you need, and make the second Chocobo focused on what you want. Your first chocobo should be your riding/chocobuck grinder
 Phoenix.Joz
user: joz
By Phoenix.Joz 2010-04-07 18:22:43
Link | Citer | R

After day 64, Care plans will no longer raise your chocobos stats. However, you can still raise its stats through Training programs and food. The food effect will be decreased by a lot though. Many times after Day 64 people put their Chocobo on "Basic Care" and feed them Sandy Carrots (gives ~0.25 increase to each stat).

If all you wanted was the whistle and you want to attempt a better chocobo, then you can retire it now. Though Care plans stop working around Day 64, you can keep your chocobo until Day 129 then it will automatically retire.

You need to keep your bird in the stables if you intend on using the Intense Training Programs.

If you want to make the chocobo you have now fast for riding, I suggest you increase the STR and EDU as much as you can.

I'm also on Phoenix if you need help ^^ I can also give you a chocobo card, I have a red one, if you want to attempt a colored one ^^
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-04-07 18:23:30
Link | Citer | R

k thanks guys.. will do that... wiki guide is detailed but, its pretty crazy hard to follow
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-04-07 18:27:03
Link | Citer | R

mines blue atm... and thanks for the offer... and the advice... i guess i will try to do what i can with this one, and see how it goes.. if anything a learning experiance. I think i got lucky too, other than food every day for it, he never got sick or had fits of rage. so money atm isnt an option for raising it
 Phoenix.Joz
user: joz
By Phoenix.Joz 2010-04-07 18:43:49
Link | Citer | R

Another thing I highly suggest would be to use your current chocobo and enter in Free Runs so you can get 150 Chocobucks and buy the Green Racing Silks (Enhances chocobo caring ability). so you can wear that while you take care of your next one.

Also suggest you do Free Runs to collect ~500 Chocobucks so you can get a head start on those as well. The max you can carry is 1,000. I suggest you not use the Training Programs until after Day 64 just in case you have to use an opposing care plan.

I try and do the Free Runs daily but I stop when the cost is 900 gil a run. ~_~ Cos I'm cheap like that, lol.

You can also garden Wildgrass seeds to get the Vomp Carrots or Zegham Carrots. Good luck :)
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-04-07 21:06:56
Link | Citer | R

to do free runs ... do you talk to the npc outside the choco circuit, or is it inside... i did one the other day from the npc outside, seemed like it was a "free" one...