users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI and FFXIV on a convertible laptop/tablet
FFXI and FFXIV on a convertible laptop/tablet
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-03-04 11:09:21
Link | Citer | R

So i was looking at the surface pro but it has a Intel HD 4000 GFX in there. Others i looked at such as the Vaio 11 also has the same issue. Id like to play FFXI on it but also run FFXIV on low to medium soecs if possible. I am looking for a tablet convertible option but have yet to find anything that is able to meet this requirement other than the razer edge which has a 1 hour battery life..... not exactly ideal.

Any thoughts or suggestions into this? Its not for event stuff, more for leveling, farming etc, stuff i don't need to pay much attention to.

Will try remote desktop tonight from my iPad but i doubt that will be sufficient enough and defeats the purpose of having to put PC on...

Any constructive advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
CP
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-03-04 14:22:28
Link | Citer | R

Patience.

Technology marches on. Someday tablets will have the graphic power to run XIV.

But there are some surprisingly small laptops that can run XIV....
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Serveur: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-03-04 14:26:41
Link | Citer | R

intel hd 4000 CAN run ff14 on lowest settings/res.

i don't suggest it though, my suggestion?

wait 1 year for newer tech, then buy a laptop/tablet, will be 2-3x more efficient than current tech and that should be enough to run ff14 on medium settings @ 720p with decent fps.
By Niashi 2013-03-04 14:30:15
Link | Citer | R

FFXIV's requires are much greater than FFXI's, so you just want to look for something that will run FFXIV.

If we go with the current posted specs and assume the client rebuild for AAR will not change the recommended specs, you actually have a lot of choices to go with. I would recommend leaving some "wiggle" room in case AAR changes the specs. To give a good recommendation, I'd need to know more preferences.

Obviously, Razers battery binger is out of the question, but are you looking for small factor, size matter?
Are there any brands you want to stay away from for whatever personal reason?
And also, price range. I could find you something pretty slammin' but it may be outside of your price range.
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-03-04 15:02:35
Link | Citer | R

Niashi said: »
FFXIV's requires are much greater than FFXI's, so you just want to look for something that will run FFXIV.

If we go with the current posted specs and assume the client rebuild for AAR will not change the recommended specs, you actually have a lot of choices to go with. I would recommend leaving some "wiggle" room in case AAR changes the specs. To give a good recommendation, I'd need to know more preferences.

Obviously, Razers battery binger is out of the question, but are you looking for small factor, size matter?
Are there any brands you want to stay away from for whatever personal reason?
And also, price range. I could find you something pretty slammin' but it may be outside of your price range.

Hi, im not looking for anything big, 10-111inch on average. price range around £1k. Im open to all brands. Just lookin for something that can be used in tablet form as well as a laptop style when needed. It wont be my main machine for gaming, i have a custom built pc for that, but its for those times tht i dont really wanna be infront of a monitor or tv in a conventional set up but say on a sofa chillin out and just doing stuff etc. Its more for casual gaming but yeah, hope that narrows it down for ya. Was looking at the Yoga earlier today, though cant remember the gfx card as of writing atm.

Thanks for all the replies guys, its very appreciated. Just as a side note, would the surface pro and or vaio 11 with intel hd 4000 run ffxi respectfully?
 Siren.Squeegee
Serveur: Siren
user: Caesar
By Siren.Squeegee 2013-03-04 15:13:03
Link | Citer | R

The intel integrated graphics, HD4000, HD2500, HD3000, etc. do not have working drivers for FFXI. They are unable to render characters, both PC and NPCs. You're best bet is an AMD APU with integrated graphics.
By Niashi 2013-03-04 17:32:29
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Chaosprime said: »
Niashi said: »
FFXIV's requires are much greater than FFXI's, so you just want to look for something that will run FFXIV. If we go with the current posted specs and assume the client rebuild for AAR will not change the recommended specs, you actually have a lot of choices to go with. I would recommend leaving some "wiggle" room in case AAR changes the specs. To give a good recommendation, I'd need to know more preferences. Obviously, Razers battery binger is out of the question, but are you looking for small factor, size matter? Are there any brands you want to stay away from for whatever personal reason? And also, price range. I could find you something pretty slammin' but it may be outside of your price range.
Hi, im not looking for anything big, 10-111inch on average. price range around £1k. Im open to all brands. Just lookin for something that can be used in tablet form as well as a laptop style when needed. It wont be my main machine for gaming, i have a custom built pc for that, but its for those times tht i dont really wanna be infront of a monitor or tv in a conventional set up but say on a sofa chillin out and just doing stuff etc. Its more for casual gaming but yeah, hope that narrows it down for ya. Was looking at the Yoga earlier today, though cant remember the gfx card as of writing atm. Thanks for all the replies guys, its very appreciated. Just as a side note, would the surface pro and or vaio 11 with intel hd 4000 run ffxi respectfully?

Hmm, You could go for the Samsung 550P5C (£709.00)
Acer Aspire v3 £734.99

There are some other options, just have to weed out all of the ones that won't meet up with the graphic requirements

I don't feel the Intel HD graphics will necessary pan out for FFXI either, but it's a personal choice and if it is a matter of access, I'd suggest you test it out first. I do have FFXI running on my netbook, it uses nVidia ION (Eee PC 1201N)
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-03-05 05:11:28
Link | Citer | R

yeah im against the HD4000 or intel gfx cards in general. And a bit more research has shown that all these convertibles are under the ultrabook range which means they will always have a intel GPU. Seems i must seek a laptop instead :/

Thanks for the inputs!
 Carbuncle.Tyleron
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Tyleron
By Carbuncle.Tyleron 2013-03-05 08:54:37
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Squeegee said: »
The intel integrated graphics, HD4000, HD2500, HD3000, etc. do not have working drivers for FFXI. They are unable to render characters, both PC and NPCs. You're best bet is an AMD APU with integrated graphics.

Dam so an i7 tablet/hybrid with an HD4000 (specifically thinking of Asus Transformer Book coming out next month) won't run ffxi?

I am looking for something easy to carry that runs ffxi.
 Phoenix.Forgivness
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Forgivness 2013-03-05 09:36:12
Link | Citer | R

1k why not just buy an average middle of the line acer laptop & a samsung tab no real need for the tablet part as i dont think 14 work off touch screen so it would need to be docked anyways
By Whogie 2013-03-05 09:40:55
Link | Citer | R

There is a workaround for the driver thing:
http://communities.intel.com/thread/32826
Bottom post of page 1.