First Page 2
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-12-28 02:31:14
Link | Citer | R

The Unfurling Tales of the Mystical Waypoints (12/28/2012)
It's me—Zurko-Bazurko. Yes, the Zurko-Bazurko you all know and love.

How are you enjoying the waypointarus? Quite convenient, no? I'm here today to explainy-wain to all interested parties about how exactly these magic devices work, and what the purpose behind them is.

Our story-wory starts on a trip bound for the continent of Quon. We were accompanying the esteemed Anastase to the Middle Lands. I stood on the deck, casting a runic spell to watch over the vessel, when our mastaru began a treatise on the waypoints and their energies. The memory of that lecture burns fresh in my mind to this day.

Don't holdy-wold back. Read the secrets within for yourself.

* Note from the editor: Zurko-Bazurko's ramblings were a bit...abrasive, so we have taken the liberty of altering certain terms and expressions to make them more palatable for a general audience.

The Unfurling Tales of the Mystical Waypoints (12/28/2012)
"Doctorrr Anastase, it's time to feed me!" meowed Quwi Orihbhe, one member of the expedition from Adoulin.

"But Quwi, you have only just eaten. Ugh... I suppose it cannot be helped..."

Anastase, the leader of the ragtag group, shook his head in disappointment as he removed several jungle cookies from his pouch.

"Thank you, doctor! I predicted long ago that you would acquiesce."

Zurko-Bazurko, rune fencer in training, bit his lower lip as he nervously eyed Quwi Orhibhe chowing down on the cookies as if she had been lost in the forest with nothing to eat for weeks.

"What a pathetic-wetic girl you are," he chortled. "Cookies here, cookies there, and never once has the vortex you call a tummy ever known the feeling of satiation."

The vessel carrying the intrepid explorers set sail from Adoulin, charting a course for Quon across the eastern Sea of Zafmlug. The waves around the continent of Ulbuka being quite fierce, the crew had to take every precaution to ensure that their vessel did not capsize. This meant taking a bit of a detour, and seven-and-a-half days had already passed since they set out on their voyage.

Many of them were unsure just what living at sea would be like. Wistful Bison, for instance, had never before set foot on a ship, and his head swirled back and forth with each rise, fall, and shift of the vessel.

"Why...why me? It's that damned Chero-Machero and his stupid ideas that doomed me to suffer this voyage. I'd give me right arm if he would just once work off instinct instead of intellect...."

"It's just one of the Minister of Commerce's many plans, silly! Though I guess we'll be lucky to return in once piece, tee hee."

Jillia, who had been dispatched from the Scouts' Coalition, lightly patted Wistful Bison on the back as she tried to console him in her own special way.

"Doctor Anastase, we're going to the Middle Lands to setaru up these transportation modules, right?"

Zurko-Bazurko pointed toward the back of the cabin, where several magical devices made of a lustrous yellow metal lay dormant.

"That is correct. These waypoints are prototypes of a sort. And now that I think of it, the divinations of Quwi Orihbhe will be paramount in ensuring the success of our journey."

"Leave it to me...sorrrt of. I mean, I'll do my best, but don't expect the moon!"

Quwi Orihbhe certainly wasn't letting her lack of confidence keep her down. Zurko-Bazurko, exasperated with the situation, muttered under his breath, "And this is supposed to be the Zurk's big chance to impress Amchuchu. He won't faily-wail this time, even if he has to inscribe runes across this whole stupid ship!"

"Amchuchu? You mean the Inventors' Coalition meister?"

Zurko-Bazurko graciously condescended to acknowledge Jillia's question. "Well, you see, she's been absolutely smitten-witten with those new technicians from Quon. The Zurk couldn't be more dissappointarued in the way she fawns over those young upstarts. His tales of battle far outstrip anything those pompous morons have on offer!"

"Have you gone completely off your rocker? You can't even clip the legs off a chapuli!"

Quwi Orihbhe sure knew how to hit where it hurts.

"Grrrrrraaah! The Zurk's runes have attained sentience and no longer respond to his commands!!"

Anastase brushed his disciples' outburst aside, having witnessed similar scenes many times before. "Be that as it may, the hour of our arrival is close at hand."

Jillian stepped in, questioning, "So, Anastase, what's the deal with these waypoints? Wistful Bison must be quite interested in the answer, too."

"I suppose the time is right to share the story with you. Although I must admit I know precious little about them myself.

"I shall attempt to keep this brief. The science behind warping takes advantage of geomagnetic energies and has existed for centuries upon centuries. It is this technology upon which the foundation of the waypoints is laid. Yet only in recent ages have we been able to harness the power via magical devices."

Jillia bobbed her head up and down in acknowledgment. "Wow, it's been that long? That's splenderiffic!"

"Historical documents imply that these devices have turned the tides of battle more than once. But when exploration of Ulbuka became prohibited, they fell into disuse for many years."

Quwi Orihbe, yet another cookie stuffed into the side of her left cheek, blurted out between bites, "B-but what an enorrrmous washte!"

"That they are, young one. However, when the First King sealed off the continent, more likely than not the lack of resources on the outlying islands led to the technology's downfall. And of course, with no colonization to speak of, there was no reason to go beyond Jorius Yett. It may be most accurate to say that the devices had filled their roles admirably, but that their services were no longer needed.

"Returning to the topic of controlling these machines, it was only—what, a little over a decade ago—when an erudite woman visited Adoulin, bringing with her details of magical, runic warping technologies."

"'Runic technologies?' So rootarus are the same as the Zurk's"

Anatase let Zurko-Bazurko's interruption slide, and continued with his explanation.

"We unearthed some fascinating documents about these magical devices hidden away in the deepest recesses of the Celennia Wexworth Memorial Library, and combined what we found there with the information she brought us. The waypoints we use every day in Adoulin are a result of this chance collaboration. We have received a veritable gift, indeed."

"You keep mentioning this woman. C'mon, you gotta tell us who she is!"

"Look, everyone, before us stands the continent of Quon in all its splendor!" Anastase deflected Jillia's inquiry as he pointed across the horizon.

Indeed, the vast and variegated Middle Lands stood before them, rising out from behind vast reaches of the sea.

"Land ho!"
"The Zurk shall leave his marky-wark upon this new land!"
"A brrrave new world! New fish! This is gonna be awesome!"
"<Blarg>..."

Three cheers...and one unfortunate mishap rang out across the deck.

Anastase squinted at the light glinting off the surface of the sea, eyes trained straight ahead on the ever-growing harbor in the distance, devices at the ready as he focused on the next aspect of their mission.

[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-28 02:51:47
Link | Citer | R

Hey look, SE is actually trying!
[+]
 Siren.Barber
Serveur: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2012-12-28 03:08:20
Link | Citer | R

Just plop one of those right next to the OP warp npc and right next to the remnants permit npc and I'd let SE have their way with me. Heck, I'd even look them in the eye while they did it.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-28 03:26:10
Link | Citer | R

bring back the tribune pls
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-28 04:19:38
Link | Citer | R

Awesome!!
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-12-28 05:48:01
Link | Citer | R

Well people wanted a boat-ride, and SE wanted teleporters...so they gave us a story about teleporters that takes place on a boat-ride. ^^

Seems successful so far (but this thread is still young.) :p
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-28 06:40:07
Link | Citer | R

Hm, want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Have they implied/mentioned anywhere yet why the First King barred Ulbuka from travel to begin with?

I assume by "first king" they mean the First King of Sandy since they mentioned that being the architecture being influenced by it. Does that mean they just left a settlement there and didn't bother withdrawing all the people? =P
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-28 06:41:37
Link | Citer | R

We'll find out in Adoulin!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2012-12-28 07:26:43
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kalilla said: »
something about waypoints, tarutaru's, and donuts in the morning.

[+]
 Cerberus.Sephrin
Serveur: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2012-12-28 08:38:37
Link | Citer | R

Excitement! Can't wait.
 Bahamut.Sobius
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Sobius
By Bahamut.Sobius 2012-12-28 09:26:30
Link | Citer | R

While I admire SE's attempt to add some further story dynamic to the game, it still pisses me off to no end when they attempt to write dialogue with difficult-to-understand accented voices and "quaint" dialogue forms (like the taru-waru) Ack!

Having said that, looking forward to the expansion. I hope they tie together various storylines from the other expansions into this one.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-28 09:42:33
Link | Citer | R

I usually don't mind most of the accents except for that dumbass gay lisp guy in WOTG, because his dialogue was written in a way that it was actually hard to understand without reading it twice or more. If it was spoken it wouldn't be as bad, but having to read was just painful.

I also occasionally get annoyed when they feel the need to use obscure/archaic words or forms for no real reason other than to sound fancy or make it sound like ye olde english. You don't get permission to do that when in the same game, you've done all your base jokes about a decade late and have people speaking in modern tones all over the world. If you're going to do that, make the whole game that tone so it doesn't sound out of place when you actually do it (See: FFT PSP, or, hell, FFXIV is consistent on that front).

Like, I remember after they used "is come" for that one Ixion post way back they started using it like, every single chance they could.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-28 09:45:21
Link | Citer | R

I like the word "unfurling".

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-28 10:04:48
Link | Citer | R

They don't write dialogues in english. It's the translation team that decides that, likely to mirror different japanese dialects used in the original dialogues.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-12-28 10:16:41
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
I usually don't mind most of the accents except for that dumbass gay lisp guy in WOTG,

That guy was, without a doubt, the most annoying character I've encountered in any FF game, and I'm including all the characters from FF8.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-28 10:21:14
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
They don't write dialogues in english. It's the translation team that decides that, likely to mirror different japanese dialects used in the original dialogues.

Okay? I think we all knew that. I don't think anybody is blaming anybody but the translation staff for accent choices.

Bahamut.Cantontai said: »
That guy was, without a doubt, the most annoying character I've encountered in any FF game, and I'm including all the characters from FF8.

I'd probably find him offensive too, if I actually gave a ***.

Asura.Andevom said: »
I'm amused that they think all Westerners talk like cowboys/people who love BBQ sauce.

[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-28 10:23:54
Link | Citer | R

Wasn't needed to bring this discussion further, but since you insist.
I don't think anybody is blaming anybody but the translation staff for accent choices.
I'm amused that they think all Westerners

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-28 10:30:09
Link | Citer | R

Addressing westerners, etc...ffs, can't be bothered to argue with you people, enjoy.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-28 10:35:34
Link | Citer | R

I can't think of any characters in XI that talk like cowboys anyway.
 Asura.Ina
Serveur: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-12-28 10:37:10
Link | Citer | R

I can't think of any characters in XI that talk like cowboys anyway.
The moogles during the buffalo event.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-28 10:44:16
Link | Citer | R

Pirates and cowboys talk same way?
 Asura.Ina
Serveur: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-12-28 10:44:47
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh, Joachim, Naja, some of the goblins, to name a few.
That would be pirate talk not cowboy talk...
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-28 10:45:28
Link | Citer | R

I'm sure it depends on how you translate the text out to sound like in your head, but I imagine Gilgamesh more being a stereotypical pirate voice, and Joachim and Naja being more like Cockneys.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Curty
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-12-28 11:03:19
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Cantontai said: »
I usually don't mind most of the accents except for that dumbass gay lisp guy in WOTG,

I thought he was FABULOUS.
First Page 2